Preparing for Advent Season - A Weekly Guide to Advent Traditions
On Sunday, December 2nd, 2018 the journey of Advent begins, a time of hope and anticipation. The four candles of the Advent wreath represent the four weeks of the first season of the liturgical year, Advent. Follow along with our Advent readings and candle lighting traditions to share with your members and families:
First Sunday of Advent – December 2nd:
- First Reading: Jeremiah 33: 14-16
- Psalm: 25:1-10
- Second Reading: 1 Thessalonians 3: 9-13
- Gospel: Luke 21: 25-36
- Wreath: Light one of the violet candles marking the season's first week, as you sing a verse of "O Come, O Come, Emmanuel."
Second Sunday of Advent – December 9th:
- First Reading: Baruch 5: 1-9
- Psalm: 126: 1-6
- Second Reading: Philipians 1: 3-11
- Gospel: Luke 3: 1-6
- Wreath: Light the second violet candle on your Advent wreath today.
Third Sunday of Advent - December 16th:
- First Reading: Zephaniah 3: 14-18a
- Psalm: Isaiah 12: 2-6
- Second Reading: Philippians 4: 4-7
- Gospel: Luke 3: 10-18
- Wreath: Today is Gaudete Sunday. Rejoice as you light the pink candle on your Advent wreath.
Fourth Sunday of Advent – December 23rd:
- First Reading: Micah 5: 1-4a
- Psalm: 80: 2-19
- Second Reading: Hebrews 10: 5-10
- Gospel: Luke 1: 39-45
- Wreath: Light the final violet candle on your Advent wreath today.
During these days and weeks of anticipation, we wish you an Advent season filled with the gifts of hope, love, joy, and peace. Be sure to capture and preserve these special Advent memories with portraits throughout the season with a church directory.